Generations At Work
AARP Foundation - BACK TO WORK 50+
BACK TO WORK 50+
is connecting employers and training providers with unemployed or underemployed workers age 50 and over to create a pipeline of trained, prescreened, qualified workers.
Even in this tough economy, employers in growth industries such as health care sometimes struggle to find qualified applicants to fill job vacancies. American industry increasingly needs workers with higher skill levels and credentials, yet the number of workers with two-year degrees and vocational certificates continues to fall short of predicted needs.
At the same time, more than 3 million workers age 50-plus are looking for full-time employment. Mature workers bring assets to the workplace that employers need, such as a strong work ethic, reliability, good judgment, and strong interpersonal and communication skills. A multigenerational workforce brings value to employers and employees alike.
What's in it for employers?
We are launching an employer-driven collaboration. By bringing together employers and other stakeholders, we can focus on workforce needs in a specific industry and build a plan that prepares job candidates for specific high-demand jobs. Our approach will:
- Meet the workforce needs of local employers by focusing on a specific set of difficult-to-fill and in-demand job titles
- Listen to the workforce needs of local employers and use their input to guide the information and coaching we provide to 50-plus hourly wage job candidates
- Meet the employment needs of local workers by reducing barriers to employment and providing access to skill building opportunities
- Strengthen the region's overall economic vitality and promote systemic change.
Initially, Back to Work 50+ focuses on hourly wage jobs within in-demand sectors — positions that typically require a high school diploma and either some college, a special certificate or training. Some positions may require an associate's degree.
Overview of Back TO WORK 50+ services for job candidates
Job candidates age 50-plus are able to:
- Call the toll-free number to register for a local information session and receive a listing of local job search services in their market
- Attend an Information Session to obtain information on local jobs, training requirements and employer expectations
- Join the Back to Work 50+ Coaching Program for job search coaching and guidance on applying for necessary job training
- Receive information on job search resources, including AARP Foundation's job-seeker guide
Call today to register for the next available Information Session and receive a free copy of the "7 Smart Strategies for 50+ Jobseekers" guide. Space is limited.
50+ Job Candidates - call 1.855.850.2525
Employers and Community Organizations - email backtowork50+Denver@aarp.org