Arapahoe/Douglas Works! is honored to provide career assistance to men and women who have served in the U.S. armed services, and qualifying spouses who are eligible for veteran’s preference. Our Disabled Veteran Outreach Specialist (DVOPS) work with eligible veterans, eligible spouses and family caregivers who have Significant Barriers to Employment (SBE).
- Priority of Service. Arapahoe/Douglas Works! is honored to provide veterans priority of service, with regards to; employment, training, and placement services. Veterans who have served one day of active duty and received other than a Dishonorable Discharge, visiting Arapahoe/Douglas Works! are invited to move to the front of the line.
- One-On-One Assistance. Our DVOPS are Disabled Veterans who understand first-hand how to find employment and related training by tapping into the enhanced skill-sets of service members.
- Veteran Events. Arapahoe/Douglas Works! hosts and participates in a variety of veteran-related events including job fairs, veteran networking groups, workshops, and community outreach events.
Arapahoe/Douglas Works! can offer career assistance to all individuals who are eligible for veteran services. Employment Representatives provide; employment counseling, assistance in all stages of job search, direct referrals for job openings and veteran's job training programs. We also offer a wide variety of specialized employment and training services to veterans such as:
- One-on-One Assistance
- Resume and Interview Assistance
- Job Referrals
- Labor Market Information
- Education and Training Assistance
- Job Preparation Workshops
- Career Assessments
- Job Fairs and Hiring Events
- Referrals to other state and federal agencies for additional services
Disabled Veteran Outreach Specialist (DVOPS)
Our DVOPS provide intensive services to meet the employment needs of eligible Veterans and eligible spouses with significant barriers to employment (SBE), who have the most need. For eligibility, the Veteran must have served a minimum of 181 days of active duty (not including training), have other than a Dishonorable Discharge and one of the SBE’s below.
- Service Connected Disabled or Special Disabled
- Recently separated service member who has been unemployed in the previous 12 months for 27 weeks
- Have been incarcerated
- Lack a high school diploma or equivalent certificate
- Low income or receiving public assistance, such as SSI, TANF, SNAP (food stamps), etc.
- A Veteran between the ages of 18-24 years old
- Are within 24 months of retiring from military service or 12 months of separating and have been through TAP
- Are a Wounded Warrior, assigned to a Wounded Warrior Transition Unit or caregiver of a Wounded Warrior
- The caregiver or spouse of a Totally Disabled or Deceased Veteran, whose disability or death is service connected or the service member is listed as missing in action (MIA) or detained by a hostile foreign power while on active duty for 90 days or more.
Service Connected Disabled Veterans
Special Disabled or Disabled: Defined in 38 U.S.C § 4211(1) and (3) as those who are entitled to compensation (or who but for the receipt of military retired pay would be entitled to compensation) under laws administered by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs (VA); or were discharged or released from active duty because of a service connected disability.
A Special Disabled Veteran must also be:
a. Rated by the VA at 30% or more disabled, or
b. Rated by the VA at 10% or 20% disabled in the case of a veteran who has been determined to have a serious employment handicap.
Disabled Veterans Outreach Program Specialists (DVOPS) work closely with veterans to help them gain access to a variety of services within Arapahoe/Douglas Works! and other agencies.
Contact Veteran Services
Arapahoe County Veterans Service Office (303) 738.8045
Douglas County Office of Veteran Affairs (303) 663.6257
Help For Homeless Veterans (877) 424.3838
U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (800) 827.1000
Veteran Affairs Eastern Healthcare System (303) 399.8020
Colorado Veteran Affairs PTSD Program (800) 273.8255 (Press 1) For Immediate Assistance 911